The continued legalization of marijuana has created an entirely new industry with unprecedented economic opportunities and attendant legal challenges. As more states enact legalization laws, these opportunities are only continuing to grow. At Kaufman Dolowich, our cannabis lawyers are available to assist individuals and companies throughout the United States involved in all aspects of the legal cannabis industry, from producers in New Jersey and New York to retailer distributors in San Francisco, California.
In addition to advising plant touching business, Kaufman Dolowich’s team of attorneys stands ready to advise and represent ancillary service providers to the legal cannabis industry, including insurers, professional services providers and investors.
Our Services in the Cannabis Industry
While individuals and companies involved in the legal cannabis industry have many industry-specific needs, these are far from the only legal needs they must address. With our firm’s depth and breadth of experience, our team of lawyers’ diverse backgrounds and experience and office locations across the country, we are able to efficiently and effectively assist with matters including:
- Business entity formation and governance
- Commercial transactions
- Commercial litigation
- COVID-19 legal considerations and planning
- Debt and equity financing
- Environmental compliance
- Insurance coverage analysis
- Intellectual property (IP) protection and licensing
- Licensing and regulatory compliance
- Labor and employment contracts, compliance and disputes
- Products liability
- Professional liability
- General liability
- Real estate transactions and disputes
- Risk management
Our cannabis clients come to us from a broad range of circumstances. We represent entrepreneurs and startups, and midsize and large companies that have outgrown their current infrastructure, including legal advice and counsel.
The lawyers in our Cannabis Law Practice Group are also members of our firm’s other Practice Groups. As a result, they bring vast knowledge and deep insights to helping our clients overcome any and all challenges and avoid risk and uncertainty. Whether it’s regulatory compliance and risk management, labor and employment-related disputes, negotiating, reviewing and drafting leases or navigating insurance issues, our clients work with lawyers who are experienced in their specific areas of need.
Financing or Insuring a Cannabis Business
With significant experience that long predates the start of the legal cannabis revolution in the United States, we offer strategic, insightful and forward-thinking legal representation for entities involved in financing and insuring cannabis businesses.
Despite the growing acceptance of the legal marijuana industry in the United States, investing in and insuring cannabis businesses still presents unique risks and challenges. Our attorneys can fully assess these risks and avoid or overcome these challenges, and guide clients in making fully-informed decisions with their long-term interests in mind.
Forming a Cannabis Business
We assist entrepreneurs, startups and established companies with forming businesses and launching new products and service lines. As a result of our ability to offer all of the services listed above, we are a one-stop-shop for businesses seeking to get involved in all facets of the legal cannabis industry.
For entrepreneurs and startups, we offer comprehensive service packages that cover everything from entity formation and governance to legal and regulatory compliance. We can assist with issuing subscription agreements for private placements, securing real estate, negotiating with vendors, registering IP, preparing employment policies and procedures—everything you need to get up and running safely.
For existing companies seeking to expand into the cannabis industry, we offer the full scope of services required to do so. We can assist with the company’s existing legal needs as well, and offer the ability to serve as outside general counsel to our cannabis and ancillary industry clients.
Operating in the Cannabis Industry
When it comes to operating a cannabis-based business, getting up and running is just the start. Cannabis businesses face a host of transactional and compliance needs on an ongoing basis. In addition to assisting with the startup phase, our lawyers can assist with companies’ ongoing legal needs—from negotiating vendor contracts and licensing agreements to handling insurance claims, managing risk and raising additional capital.
As companies grow, their legal needs change over time. Having served as outside general counsel for Cannabis companies and other broad range of industries, we are well-attuned to the changing needs that arise in dynamic business environments. As your company expands its operations, takes on more employees, outgrows its current location and explores new commercial opportunities, we can be there with you every step of the way.
Litigating Commercial Disputes and Other Matters
All businesses face litigation risks. However, those in highly-regulated consumer industries face greater risks than others. In addition to assisting our clients with transactional matters and compliance, our lawyers provide representation for formal and informal dispute resolution as well.
With our broad-based practice, we are able to assist with all types of disputes, and provide representation in state and federal jurisdictions across the country and we have deep experience in alternative dispute resolution (ADR) as well. Regardless of your company’s role in the Cannabis industry, and regardless of its legal needs, we can help. We encourage you to contact us to learn more.
Speak with a Cannabis Lawyer Today
If you would like more information about our practice, please contact us to speak with a member of our Cannabis Law Practice Group. Call 844-860-1010 nationwide, or tell us how we can reach you and a member of our Cannabis Law Practice Group will be in touch promptly.
Practice Group Leadership
|Attorney||New York, NY , White Plains, NY|
Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer CIPP/US, CIPM
|San Francisco, CA , Oakland, CA|
|Attorney||San Francisco, CA|
Co-Chair of the Cannabis Law Practice Group
|Of Counsel||Torrance, CA|
|Partner||New York, NY|
- Insurance Reimbursement for Medical Cannabis—Where Does NJ Stand Now?, authors Eileen Ficaro and Gregory Brown, New Jersey Law Journal, 5-3-2023 - May 10, 2023
- “Isaacson & Nicolazzo: Risky ‘gray’ market emerges to fill cannabis license void” authors Jonathan Isaacson, Adam Nicolazzo, Long Island Business News,12-22-2022 - Dec 23, 2022
- 2022 Cannabis Insurance Market Update, PropertyCasualty360, Jonathan Isaacson quoted, April 20, 2022 - Apr 20, 2022
- Cannabis on LI: A Year In Review and What Lies Ahead, Long Island Business News, Opinion, author Jonathan Isaacson, 2-23-22 - Feb 24, 2022
- “Shooting in the Dark’: New York Issues Guidance on Marijuana and the Workplace: Higher Law- Law.com, Oct. 30, 2021, Taylor Ferris and Aaron Solomon - Nov 1, 2021
- Legalized Marijuana’s Workplace Labyrinth, New York Law Journal, written by Aaron Solomon & Taylor Ferris, Oct. 19, 2021 - Oct 20, 2021
- Legalized Cannabis: Should Professionals Still Beware?, PropertyCasualty 360, KDV authors Jonathan Isaacson, Esq, and Adam Nicolazzo, Esq. - Aug 18, 2021
- Timeline for LI’s recreational marijuana industry uncertain, Long Island Business News, by Jonathan Isaacson & Andrew Lipkowitz - Aug 13, 2021
- Pennsylvania Superior Court Recognizes Employees’ Right to Sue Employers Under the Medical Marijuana Act - Aug 9, 2021
- NYSBA Gives Lawyers Green Light to Counsel and Partake in Recreational Marijuana Market , New York Law Journal, August 02, 2021, authors Jonathan Issacson and Brett Scher - Aug 4, 2021
- The Housing Market, Recreational Cannabis: Iram Valentin on What’s Coming in Professional Liability for Lawyers, New Jersey Law Journal, July 29, 2021 - Jul 29, 2021
- NJ’s Legalization Legislation: The First 180 Days, New Jersey Law Journal, by Robert Berns, & Charles Kellett - Jul 12, 2021
- Risks for New York’s New Legal Cannabis Businesses, Risk Management - Jun 1, 2021
- Riding the Green Wave: If the Federal Government Ever Gets Around to Legalizing Cannabis, Here Are the Insurance Implications. Risk & Insurance, ft. Jonathan Isaacson - May 19, 2021
- Preparing for the Cannabis Industry Coming to NY, Long Island Business News - May 14, 2021
- Federal Cannabis Bill Opens Door for Insurers, Business Insurance, ft. Jonathan Isaacson - May 4, 2021
- States vote ‘yes’ on marijuana, paid leave in meaningful election for HR, HR Dive, ft. Katherine Catlos - Nov 4, 2020
- Enforceability of Cannabis Coverage Remains Hazy, Insurance Journal - May 18, 2020
- Marijuana in the Workplace, Today’s General Counsel - Mar 30, 2020
- Cannabis Services Reform Stalls, Insurance Thought Leadership - Mar 27, 2020
- Guidance For Illinois Employers in Response to COVID-19 - Mar 26, 2020
- More Options for Cannabis Insurance? Insurance Thought Leadership - Sep 16, 2019
- New York City Council Passes Ban on Pre-Employment Testing for Marijuana, SHRM, ft. Keith Gutstein - Apr 15, 2019
- Risk Management – Employers Face Challenges on Marijuana Legalization, Business Insurance, ft. Tad Devlin - Nov 1, 2016
- Cannabis conundrum: The high risks and rewards of legalized marijuana for the construction industry, ConstructionDive, ft. Tad Devlin - Oct 31, 2016
- Risks and Rewards of Legalized Marijuana - Oct 24, 2016
- Marijuana at the Polls and in the Workplace, SHRM, ft. Tad Devlin - Oct 13, 2016
- Marijuana Legalization Votes Won’t End Drug-Free Workplaces, Law360, ft. Tad Devlin - Sep 21, 2016
- Reality Check on Marijuana, Human Resource Executive ft. Philip Voluck - Sep 30, 2014
- Anne Myers quoted extensively in “Marijuana Insurance — The Next Frontier,” MainStreet - Feb 27, 2014
- Medical Marijuana Tenants Present a Unique Risk to Commercial Property Owners, Bloomberg Law - Jul 10, 2012
- A Cruel Choice: Patients Forced to Decide Between Medical Marijuana and Employment, Hofstra Labor and Employment Law Journal, Vol. 26, Iss. 2, Article 13 - May 1, 2009