Melissa Cartaya focuses her practice on professional liability, employment law, labor law, and general liability defense. In the area of professional liability, Ms. Cartaya defends professionals including lawyers, architects, engineers, and insurance brokers. She also litigates and participates in trials of insurance defense cases, involving premises liability and vertical transportation matters related to elevator and escalator personal injury. As part of her practice, Ms. Cartaya represents those in construction trades including subcontractors and handles matters relating to construction delay claims and alleged contractual construction damages.
Ms. Cartaya also represents and advises business and property owners on matters including allegations of discrimination, and other violations of federal and state civil rights statutes, including the ADA and the New York State and City Human Rights laws.
She is fluent in both English and Spanish. As a first-generation American, Ms. Cartaya is passionate about being part of the American justice system.
Ms. Cartaya was selected by Super Lawyers® as a 2021, 2022, and 2023 New York Metro Rising Star.
- New York
- U.S. District Court
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- Lehigh University, B.A., cum laude
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D.
- Westchester County Bar Association
- New York SuperLawyers©, NY Metro, Rising Star, 2023 – 2021
- “Cyber Risk Management for New Lawyers,” CLE, Bronx County Bar Association, 10-18-2023