Henry Norwood concentrates his practice in ERISA litigation and compliance, general liability, commercial litigation, employment law, and managed care. He is diligent in recognizing businesses’ complex challenges, and considers all potential outcomes and approaches before proceeding to court.
Mr. Norwood defends clients in claims under the federal Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) arising from disputes in defined benefit plans and defined contribution plans. This includes benefits claims by participants, claims for breach of fiduciary duty, and multi-employer welfare administrators in benefit payment. He aids clients in avoiding litigation with administrative processing of benefit claims, and in the use of alternative dispute resolution to resolve matters.
In his commercial and general liability litigation work, Mr. Norwood defends business clients and insurance carriers in liability claims, including bodily injury, allegations of bad faith, and claims of breach of duty. In his employment law work, Mr. Norwood litigates through arbitration and litigation in class action defense, and in claims of discrimination and harassment. He also advises employers in several employment practice matters.
Mr. Norwood further represent clients in a wide range of managed care health litigation and compliance, including hospital liability defense, nursing home defense, commercial health disputes, HIPAA, and healthcare organizational issues.
- Nova Southeastern University Shepard Broad College of Law, JD
- University of Maine, BA
- Healthcare Organizations as Health Data Fiduciaries: An International Analysis, in Personal Health Informatics: Patient Participation in Precision Health, Springer Publishing, chapter by Henry Norwood & Paul DeMuro, 2023
- Health Information Privacy & Security, in Health Informatics 3rd Edition, Springer Publishing, chapter by Henry Norwood & Paul DeMuro, 2022
- Reasonableness: The Foundation of Federal Immunity for Medical Professional Review Committees, Reuters, article by Abbye E. Alexander, Christopher J. Tellner , Henry E. Norwood, 2021
- Dawn of Digital Health Care: Risks & Strategies for Liability, Coverage, PropertyCasualty 360, article by Laura Ruettgers, Christopher Tellner, Abbye Alexander & Henry Norwood, November 10, 2021
- The Road So Far: The Scope of OCR’s HIPAA Right of Access Initiative, ABA: The Health Lawyer, article by Henry Norwood, 2021
- EEOC Says Employers Can Mandate Vaccines – with Exceptions, Healthcare Risk Management, ft. Henry Norwood, 2021
- The Causation Problem in Robotically Assisted Surgical Device Litigation, Reuters, article by Abbye Alexander, Chris Tellner, & Henry Norwood, August 31, 2021
- Ransomware in the Healthcare Industry, in ABA:Health eSource, article by Henry Norwood & Paul DeMuro, 2021
- PREP Act Civil Liability Immunity: a public health emergency defense of rare applicability, article by Abbye Alexander, Chris Tellner, & Henry Norwood, Reuter, 2021
- New Ransomware Advisory Warns of Penalties for Ransom Payments, Insurance Coverage Law Center, article by Henry Norwood & Avery Dial, 2020
- Health Information Technology, in E-Health, Privacy, and Security Law 2017 Supplement, ABA, chapter by Henry Norwood, Paul DeMuro, Stephen Siegel, & Carolyn Petersen, 2018